Monday 31 May 2010

roaring forties!

I'm sure all women approaching 40 (and men too probably, actually they're probably worse!) think "Oh my god, I still haven't climbed Everest, swum the channel, learned a foreign language or to play an instrument..." etc etc.

It's 'bucket list' time for most people I think and while there really aren't a great deal of things I wish I'd done, or done differently, I've always fancied having a scooter!

I saw an advert on TV recently of a girl zipping along on a pink retro style scooter, wearing a pink helmet and I thought, hmmmm!

However...seems, unlike other European countries, one must actually have something called 'compulsory basic training' before one is allowed out on 2 wheels on a public road in this country. So I signed us both up for the training, which cost over £100 each! The web site infers that you can take the course in a day but we had to go back 3 times. Ian passed on our 2nd visit but I had to go back for a 3rd time.

I found the damn thing very heavy and difficult to manoeuvre, they don't look heavy on TV!!!! I never really felt in control and on my 3rd attempt I fell off during a U turn, which I took more in the style of a V turn. I turned too tightly and me and the bike simultaneously fell over sideways, the full weight of the thing landing on my leg!

I am currently very sore, very bruised and very disappointed... but at least I gave it a shot!

Meanwhile, Ian is zipping around on 'our' brand new retro style scooter!

I've a good mind to make him wear a pink helmet!!!! Hurrumph! :0(

1 comment:

  1. Hope your bruises mend soon, Justine. They're not as easy as they look, are they? I fell off one once and it fell on top of me, pinning me to the ground. Haven't been on one since!

    Make sure you wear that helmet. :D

    ReplyDelete