Friday 24 June 2011

My little secret...

I love food but I can't stand all the snobbery that can go with it. I much prefer substance over style, I'd rather eat excellent fish and chips sitting on a park bench than have a mediocre meal in some flashy restaurant. So, I wracked my brains about where to go for my birthday this year and then remembered a lovely little place we'd been to once before.


It's a small pub with lovely decor, located next to a lake on the edge of a forest and, more importantly, the food is excellent and the staff are really welcoming and friendly. The kind of place you want to keep all to yourself...but also tell everyone about!


I asked for a cocktail as an aperitif, namely a 'Cosmopolitan' but, being a country pub, I guess they don't get asked for cocktails very often so they didn't know how to make it. They asked me what was in it but I didn't know either! I said "you know, that cocktail they drink all the time on 'Sex and The City'", as if that would make them suddenly know!


They went to look it up on the internet and then this arrived at the table...apparently they didn't have any cocktail glasses so they used the nearest fish bowl!






Less 'Sex and The City' and more 'Benidorm', it was crying out for a mini umbrella and a sparkler! Still, it gave us all a good giggle and we had a lovely meal and evening.



And this is the view from the restaurant, over the lake. I just realised I forgot to tell you the name of the pub... ;0)

















No comments:

Post a Comment