Friday 2 October 2009

Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

I love being silent! I have been known to text or e-mail 2 sheds...while we're in the same room! I only speak when I feel it's absolutely necessary to say something. This is possibly why I don't have many 'non virtual' friends because, while I don't enjoy verbalising, I adore writing! A colleague of mine once showed me her e-mail inbox and it was overflowing with missives from me, and she sat next to me!

I was one of those kids that had several pen pals but very few 'proper' friends. I just wasn't interested in chatting. I prefer to watch and listen but even then I often drift off into my own little reverie. I am not loquacious, garrulous or particularly interested in gossip.

I wrote a poem dedicated to 2 sheds for our wedding day, but asked someone else to read it out!

I think it drives 2 sheds insane! You'd think it would be every man's dream to have a quiet wife but then I s'pose if the only time I speak to him is to remind him to take the rubbish out or clean the chicken coop, it could be tiresome and despite me not speaking much, he calls me a nag!

My last job, for this reason, was absolute hell! I worked in a call centre. Call Centres have been described as the modern sweat shops but this call centre was the kind of place that makes a sweat shop look like a bit of a cushy number!

The company had just introduced free broadband. In reality it was a phone and internet bundle and you paid for the phone part of the package but the internet bit was advertised as being free (despite the fact that you couldn't have one without the other!).

People being human (well, most of them anyway) saw the word 'free' and it was an utter 'free for all' (pardon the pun) to sign up!

The problem was, the company didn't have enough staff to handle the calls, enough engineers to connect people up quickly enough or to fix faults so what was a clever (debatable) marketing ploy turned into an absolute nightmare for the poor saps (like me) who had to answer the phone.

The situation was compounded by the company not giving the staff the correct training on the right systems to actually be able to help the customer! Talk about being stuck between a rock and a screaming customer! It was so busy that at one point a memo was sent round telling staff how many toilet breaks they were allowed and encouraged them to wait until their lunch break to use the facilities, the company literally took the piss!

The daily volume of calls was beyond ridiculous and there were always calls holding, waiting to be answered. This meant I talked non-stop, all day long! My tongue was literally sore by the end of the day and on occasions, swollen! I came home feeling like I'd just had dental work done! I had a permanent sore throat and a cough, not to mention being stressed to the point of collapse!

I did eventually collapse and it was possibly the best thing that ever happened to me because it got me out of that hell hole (allbeit via an ambulance) and I haven't been back since!

I have concluded that talking isn't good for me.!!! To compound it all, I have developed a slight nervous stutter, so, if it's all right with you, I'd rather shut up!

Oh and if 2 sheds is reading this, could I please have a cup of tea, will you clean the chickens out and can you take the rubbish out? Thanks love! ;0) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment