Sunday 11 October 2009

To Life!

It would have been my dad's 82nd birthday yesterday and it's the first one we've spent without him, so we decided to fill our day. Partly to take our mind off the sadness and partly because, when you lose someone, you get a sharp reminder to make the most of the time you have left and dad would have wanted us to do so!


Mum and I were up early to go and get our flu jabs. The local surgery had obviously decided to get all the jabs done in one day and you could have been forgiven for mistaking the surgery for the post office, due to the queue of elderly folk! It was a very effective system as we were in, thumped in the arm (well, that's how it feels afterwards!) and out in moments!


We then went for a rummage at a garage sale, most of it was tat but I still came away with a nice little rustic garlic pot and a small glass jar. The woman asked for my knickers in exchange, I was rather taken aback and thought it a high price to pay for some bric a brac! My mum explained she wanted a nicker (i.e. £1), thank goodness, it was a cold day!


Mum and me then went to the local garden centre for lattes and toast, where we bought some bird seed and nuts. We went to feed the birds and squirrels at the cemetry, in memory of my dad. I'd much rather do something like that than leave a bunch of flowers, what better way to celebrate a life than to help preserve other life!


In the evening we (me, mum and 2 sheds) went to The Grange Theatre Northwich to see 'The Mid-Cheshire Amateur Operatic Society' perform 'Fiddler on the Roof'. One of my chicken keeping friends was in the cast. We had a bag of layers pellets (chicken feed to you!) that we needed to to give to her so we bunged that in the boot of the car and off we set.


The show was really good, it was performed 'in the round' and we were on the front row so had a great view of all the action! One of the reasons we don't go to the theatre more often is we always seem to end up with the crappy seats! Either no leg room, no visibility or sat near someone with TB or St Vitus' Dance!






During the interval we shared a bag of M&Ms we'd sneaked in. We always take our own refreshments to the theatre/cinema, I refuse to pay for overpriced snacks! Anyway, I say "sneaked" because when we got there, there was a sign on the door 'No food or drink to be taken into the auditorium". So, we smuggled our contraband in under the cover of a Co-Op carrier bag, okay maybe not so subtle but nobody challenged us.

We scoffed our illegal treat during the interval and just as we'd finished, a chap approached us and said "I've been told to come and get a bag of food off you!".
My face fell, we'd been caught red-handed! (well; red, yellow, green and brown but the blue ones are my favourites!)
I don't like getting into trouble, I'm not good with confrontation and I didn't want to get thrown out, after all, we had great seats for a change!

I was just about to confess all but it turned out the chap was my friend's husband, come to arrange collection of the chicken food!

2 comments:

  1. Very funny story, poet! And sorry about your father's death. It's hard for a long time after you lose someone.

    Shelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending a little 'hug' from me sweetie

    What a lovely day you gave your mum (and yourself) your Dad would be pleased and proud of how you spent the day....

    And always remember that the love you and your Dad shared will ever and always live on....

    Faye

    ReplyDelete