Monday 21 December 2009

Wine is sunlight, held together by water. ~ Galileo


And when finished, vin d'orange does seem to uphold this theory, from what I've seen :0)

I've finally got round to starting off my 'vin d'orange'. I read about it in Susan Loomis' 'Tarte Tatin' and it sounded sublime so just had to give it a go!

There are several versions of it on the net so I've amalgamted the ideas from Susan's recipe and what I read on the net and this comes pretty close to authentic as far as I'm concerned, time will tell as to whether it meets expectations :0)

I used:
6 oranges
750g of sugar (1/2 vanilla sugar and 1/2 granulated sugar)
1 vanilla pod
2 tbsps of coffee beans
2 litres of medium/dry white wine
1/2 litre of vodka
slice the oranges and split all the ingredients between 2 x 2 litre jars or, if you have a jar large enough, just bung it all in the one jar!

Shake every day for about a month then strain into bottles and leave for at least a month but apparently it's far nicer if you can leave it for 12 months.

I'll let you know! :0)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delish and LOOKs so nice too - will be looking forward to your report (whatever number of months elapse, lol)

    Hugs!
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't time go slowly? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it ready yet?

    ReplyDelete