Wednesday 28 March 2012

Orange is not the only colour...

I made the North African stew thing tonight. Well, I kind of made an amalgamated version; I took bits from the recipe in the River Cottage book and used bits from my usual tagine recipe...

OK yes, it is very orange but bye gum it was tasty!
Peel, de-seed and chop a butternut squash into 2cm-ish cubes. Saute them in olive oil until they start to go a little bit soft and sweet. Add 2 sliced, white onions, chopped sweet pepper (maybe don't use an orange one like I did, doh!), tin chick peas, tin of chopped toms, handful dried apricots chopped, good handful flaked almonds, a good tb...sp of ras al hanout, tbsp harissa, veg stock cube, few tsps sugar, some garlic (I just use garlic powder, so easy), some water and simmer for about 1.5 hours. I then added some orzo, let that cook and then serve up! Taste first in case you want to add more spices etc.
Best served with a cple of warmed flat breads......and a nice cold shandy ;0)
Watch this space for the next thrilling installment of the veggie diaries!

No comments:

Post a Comment